By now, you have probably heard of Shakeology, which is tagged as the “healthiest meal of the day.” But what exactly is Shakeology?
Shakeology is a protein-based shake that is packed with superfoods and essential vitamins and minerals. All you have to do is look at the ingredient list to see that it is filled with proteins, phytonutrients, antioxidants, enzymes, prebiotics, and probiotics. Being someone who always forgets to take vitamin pills, Shakeology is a huge life-saver for me. Because I eat/drink it daily, I know I am getting many of those super important vitamins and minerals that my body requires and is likely lacking. But, enough spouting off stuff you already know – the real question, does it actually work?
Before we get into the nitty gritty of Shakeology, lets take a closer look. For one, it can be used in several ways, such as (but not limited to):
1) As a meal replacement shake
2) As a snack (i.e. pre- or post-workout)
3) A substitute “treat” for other unhealthier options
4) A replacement for some potential supplement pills
5) A way to get dense nutrition (particularly for those who may not eat the healthiest diets)
What is it supposed to do for us?
According to the website, Shakeology is supposed to do the following for people:
1) Help you lose weight
2) Curb cravings
3) Increase energy and stamina
4) Promote healthy digestion and regularity
5) Taste delicious
Here is a video (approximately 15 minutes) with some doctors’ opinions on Shakeology, if you’re interested:
So…Does it Really Do That??
Since I’ve been drinking Shakeology for over a year now, do I find these “findings” accurate? For the most part, yes (although I’ll explain more below). Below are my answers according to how Shakeology has affected me. Please remember that not everyone will be the same.
1) Does Shakeology help me lose weight? Yes, BUT with conditions, of course. If I was eating unhealthy food all day and just added in a shake, I, of course, would not suddenly lose weight. Rather, when I choose to eat mainly healthy and I substitute Shakeology for one of my meals, I lose weight quite consistently. In fact, there were times when I was eating healthy, but not drinking Shakeology and I struggled to lose even 0.2 lbs. For some reason, when I include Shakeology into my diet, I have an easier time dropping weight. I’m not entirely sure why, but I have a feeling that it likely has to do with the ingredients in Shakeology and that it is nourishing my body. When I wasn’t drinking it, my body was not necessarily getting all the important vitamins and minerals, etc., which may have interfered with my progress. Again, it’s not a magic “shake” that makes you drop weight immediately, but if you pair it with a healthy diet, you will likely see results. It is one of the reasons why I continue to drink it daily. If I didn’t see results, I wouldn’t keep drinking it.
2) Does Shakeology help me reduce cravings? I would say that it helps reduce cravings for other things, but does not entirely eliminate them. There are definitely times when I’d rather just go eat that chocolate chip cookie or Dairy Queen Blizzard than have my shake (which, hey, is fine once in a while…everything in moderation, right?). However, the amount and frequency of cravings I have have definitely been reduced (just ask my husband…I always had cravings…and more cravings…and more cravings). 😉 I have also used some of the recipe suggestions provided by Shakeology and have made bars that I keep in my freezer for when I am fighting a huge craving. It has really helped me from overindulging in something unhealthy (like the entire Dairy Queen menu).
3) Does Shakeology increase my energy and stamina? Most definitely. When I drink Shakeology I can workout with more intensity and for longer periods of time; I have more energy to do things (even “blech” house cleaning…); and it helps me keep up with the chaos of my day-to-day life. It’s not like a sudden huge rush of energy (I wasn’t the Energizer Bunny…), but an overall feeling. I once gave an older couple in their 60s a Shakeology challenge: to drink one shake a day for an entire week. After taking the challenge, the couple felt more energized, had lost an average of 4 lbs each that week, and just felt better. In fact, the older gentleman even said that he had to drink his Shakeology earlier in the day as he had too much energy when he drank it in the evening. Shazam! And yes, they still drink Shakeology to this day.
4) Does Shakeology promote healthy digestion and regularity? Yes…’nough said. 😉
5) Does Shakeology taste delicious to me? Hmm…this one is probably the hardest one for me answer. The way your Shakeology tastes is highly dependent upon how you make it and what you put in it (and probably what flavor you have). The way I make my Shakeology does in fact result in it being delicious. Every. Single. Time. But…I learned the hard way. I, on occasion, before I had the wonderful invention of the shaker cup, tried simply adding the Shakeology powder to some cold milk and stirring with a spoon…yeah…bad choice. It was HORRIBLE. It was lumpy and gross and frothy and just unpleasant in general. However, when you mix it with a Shaker cup or blend it up (my favorite way), it tastes 1000 x better. I often prefer to make mine really thick with frozen fruit so that it actually tastes more like a sorbet or ice cream. So…to be short…it can most definitely be delicious if made certain ways.
BUT, what about….
the price?. A common concern I hear is that it is too expensive. I suppose this depends on your outlook on life. For me, the cost of it is definitely outweighed by its benefits. Because it is so packed with awesome ingredients, I don’t have to worry about purchasing a bazillion different supplements in hopes that I am getting all the nutrients my body needs. Furthermore, because it’s replacing a meal for me, it’s really actually quite cheap. Furthermore, if I treat my body now while I’m younger, I will likely have fewer (or smaller) medical bills in the future. I figure I may as well invest in my health while I’m younger and still can. Check out the funny video with Tony Horton below…
other protein shakes? Another common concern I hear is that it is way cheaper and easier to get other protein shakes in stores. I have tried other protein shakes and honestly don’t get the benefits that I do from Shakeology (in fact, I sometimes feel sick after them). Plus, those other protein shakes likely don’t have the vast ingredients and super foods that Shakeology does. Furthermore, if you chose Home Direct for your Shakeology order, then it gets delivered to you every month and the cost of shipping is free. AND, if you don’t like it, they have a bottom of the bag guarantee (I believe it’s 30 days..). If you aren’t satisfied with the product, you can contact customer service and they will refund you the cost of the bag (minus shipping and handling). Sounds pretty easy to me…